Why I use 120 color transparency

Why I Use 120 Color Transparency

Since I have decided to return to film photography after a 6 year hiatus I have decided to put down in print my reasoning. There was a time when I came to the realization that film was becoming more expensive than I could afford. Do I switched to digital beginning with a Canon 20d. I was swept up  in the illusion that the instant gratification of digits would satisfy my creative needs. What I did not realize was that the cost of keeping up with the rapidly advancing technology would itself become cost prohibitive.
       After bout 4 years of use and learning photoshop editing I graduated to a T5i which also allowed me to capture video. This was all great except that I found that the digital cameras were not anywhere as stable as my film cameras and, no matter what, the end result was not the same in quality.  I was     caught up in the clickity clickity shoot a thousand images mindset.
       One day I woke up realizing that I was getting older and that what I was doing was totally not satisfactory. So I dug out my Mamiya RB67 and my Sinar F view camera, Bought some film and returned to shooting film.
       I am finding that shooting color transparency is going to be better for me than color negative. My main reasoning for that is  1. I cannot afford a color print lab. and 2. Scanning on my Epson scanner is totally acceptable.
       I exclusively shoot 120 film because this is the largest that I can afford. Also I have a roll film holder that exposes 6x9 which gives me the benefit of a larger negative.

The above is an image of the canyon wall leading to Montezuma Castle in central Arizona. The camera is Mamiya RB67 --film--fujichrome 100- circular polarizer-- f11@125. Slight adjustment with levels and contrast using PS7.
     




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success In Photography

Medium format is the film for me